[ltp] Re: Which Thinkpads easiest to display on external HDMI?

Micha Feigin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Jun 2014 23:37:19 -0400

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    bidimailui-detected-decoding-type="latin-charset" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"
    text="#000000">
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:keitho@strucktower.com">keitho@strucktower.com</a> wrote:<br>
cite="mid:fe797aa9f88fd6120ec0c19d94accb31.squirrel@webmail.strucktower.com"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">
</pre>
        <pre wrap="">Did you try it? ...
Evgeni
</pre>
      <pre wrap="">
Yes, I should have said.

From: Micha Feigin
</pre>
        <pre wrap="">
</pre>
      <pre wrap="">
</pre>
        <pre wrap="">    Not sure about the hardware in the thinkpad. I would think that it
    would have a dual purpose displayport / hdmi port, but if it
    doesn't, you can get an active displayport to hdmi, would be cheaper
    than another laptop. &lt;br&gt;
</pre>
      <pre wrap="">
Hmmm... I'll study that a bit. But I assume that in my T520. there is no
physical connection of the DisplayPort to anything...</pre>
    There is no sense in that. It has to be connected to something, if
    you have intel only then it is connected to the Intel. I had the
    w520 with NVIDIA at the time, and it was more messed up as it was
    stilled connected to the Intel, but the xserver went crazy when I
    connected a cable and would only work when the bios was set to
    discrete graphics.<br>
    The question is more whether the hardware will output both
    displayport and hdmi signals (which are different) which would allow
    using a passive displayport to hdmi cable, or whether hardware is
    displayport only, which would require an active cable (less likely,
    more common in discrete desktop graphic cards).<br>
    My guess is that either the adapter is faulty or you need to trigger
    external display detection, as opposed to the port not being
    connected to anything or a displayport only port.<br>
cite="mid:fe797aa9f88fd6120ec0c19d94accb31.squirrel@webmail.strucktower.com"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">

ThinkWiki says:

"The T520 also requires Discrete Graphics to use DisplayPort. "

Thanks,
Keith

</pre>