[ltp] Re: X200s, 4 RAM 64 bit or not

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:50:37 -0400

> I upgraded to 4 RAM and I am running Kubuntu 10.04, trinity with PAE
> enabled. I am thinking to switch to 64 bit, but since still the majority
> of applications is 32 bit I am not sure that it is worth the effort.
> Can somebody advice me please?

It's up to you.  Personally, I still use a 32bit install of Debian on
all my machines, even those with 8GB of RAM.
But I use an amd64 kernel on all machines that use a 64bit CPU.

Don't know much about Ubuntu, but from a Debian "386" install you can
just "aptitude install linux-image-amd64", and I'd expect the same will
work under Ubuntu.

        Stefan