[ltp] T430i ac wireless card

Florian Reitmeir linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Jun 2014 15:05:28 +0200

Hi,

Robin Becker wrote:
> On 26/06/2014 13:02, James Knott wrote:
>> On 06/26/2014 07:57 AM, Robin Becker wrote:
>>> What does the FRU actually mean?
>> Field Replaceable Unit.
> Yes I understood the words, but I wondered if there was any other
> semantics eg devices without an FRU wouldn't work.

sometimes the wiring of the cards is not standard, special the
flightmode switch and the leds. So to prevent miss use, lenovo/ibm
laptops refuse to work with cards not from lenovo.

the bios has a whitelist of pci devices allowed, so just buying an
other card won't work. but there are some hacks around to alter the list.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_card

--
Florian Reitmeir
E-Mail: florian@reitmeir.org