[ltp] Re: spotty wireless with t520 w/Intel wifi and xubuntu 13.04

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 5 Mar 2014 19:32:24 +0000

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 09:57:15PM +0300, Michael Livshin wrote:

> It's NetworkManager.  OK, it's the combination of NetworkManager and the
> wireless driver.  Even though Intel wireless cards are supposed to be
> well-supported in Linux.  Go figure.

So I finally decided to give this a shot, since my wireless started
being spotty as hell recently.

For several weeks now, it has silently died and forgotten about my AP
- the essid doesn't show up in the list, although "sudo iwlist wlan0
scan" showed the essid.  I had to disable/reenable networking to get
it to start working again.  It happened every 45 minutes or so.

Then something changed a week or two ago, still not sure what, but it
became damn-near-unusable, I had to disable/reenable every five minutes.

So I decided to try your suggested patch.  Unfortunately, patching
nm-device-wifi.c didn't truly solve the problem.  I guess it has helped
a bit - it's back to 45 minutes or so.

I was pretty exhaustive in capturing everything I did, so if people
want to try this themselves, I've documented the whole process at:

http://darksleep.com/ubuntu/networkmanager_log.txt

And... hey, there goes ubuntu, updating and overwriting
network-manager, even as I type this :-) (I haven't yet added the hold
command to dpkg as Sean Leonard suggested).  Oh well, it'll be easy
enough to reinstall my patched version.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com / (412) 401-8060 cell