[ltp] Thinkpadd T430U

Dmitry Mikhailov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Mar 2014 23:27:54 +0600

On 03/15/2014 04:06 PM, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> Hi,
> My Thinkpad T60 seems to just have been died (let's assume so). Anyway,
> it's 7 years old and I wanted to change some time soon.
> I'm looking at T430U. Any recomendations, suggestions, advices,
> warnings?
> I need a 14 inches display (it's my main computer). A good keyboard, I
> don't move it in daily basis, it doesn't need to be super portable and
> slim... but I'd like something a bit lighter than my T60 7 years old.
> I need a 500 GB hard disk, and I'd prefer a non-wide screen but this
> seems difficult at the moment.
All you can have better than T60 and non-wide is... Frankenpad. Sorry,
the pages are in German but here's the English translation:

And you can stick there... IPS UXGA 1600x1600 screen with LED backlight!

I'm stuck with this machine since there's nothing comparable yet.

You can have a Core2Duo T9500 (2x2.6GHz 6MB cache) or even Extreme X9000
(2x2.8GHz 6MB cache, still expensive) and 2x4GB DDR2 SODIMM (expensive).

If you flash the patched BIOS, you can have SATA-II speeds so you can
stick some decent SSD and have some 750GB 7200RPM classic mechanical HDD
(in the caddy) instead of optical drive.

Best regards,
         Dmitry Mikhailov