Refurb Thinkpads, was Re: [ltp] Thinkpadd T430U

Jeffrey L. Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 Mar 2014 16:50:18 -0500

Quoting Helen Borrie <helebor@iinet.net.au>:
> At 10:11 a.m. 18/03/2014, Steven J. Owens wrote:
[snip]

> Well, long story short, the T61 is so good that I gave the T60 to the
> technophobe, set up the database server on the old T42 and set up the T61
> for myself.  I love the T61 more, I confess, than the T60.  More real estate
> on the screen, better video.  Missing from it, though, is any useful PCMCIA
> ports (one is diverted as a Smartcard socket, the other as an SD card
> reader).  From the stickies on it, this refurb appears to be one of a bunch
> of custom builds the refurbisher bought from a local Telco.  It also has 3G
> built in, which is of no interest to me.
[snip]

IIRC, the fluid bearings in the T42 hard drives expect to be powered up 48
hours at the most.  They need some down time to reform properly.  You may wish
to investigate this.  Laptops are expected to have a different usecase than
servers.

Jeffrey