[ltp] X240 NFC

Leon Weber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Mar 2014 20:43:44 +0100

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

Hi all,

Can anyone provide some clarification on the following issue, Peter
maybe?

I=E2=80=99m trying to play around with the NFC module in the X240, but it s=
eems
hard to find information on that.  I=E2=80=99m not even sure which module t=
hat
is.  Lenovo=E2=80=99s FRU list suggests it might be a =E2=80=9CFoxconn 2079=
2S=E2=80=9D, but then
the Windows driver download page[1] mentions Broadcom.  How does this
fit together?  Is it a Broadcom chip that Foxconn soldered on a PCB and
made into a complete NFC module?

Then again, there=E2=80=99re mentions in the internet that the previous Thi=
nkpad
generation used the NXP NP533 module, for which there is a driver in the
3.13 linux kernel that I could not get working (neither lsnfc from
nfcutils[2] nor nfctool from the neard package[3] would show any NFC
devices).  I also tried the PN544 driver without luck.

Outputs of lspci and lsusb aren=E2=80=99t very helpful to me, there=E2=80=
=99s nothing
there that I=E2=80=99d recognize as NFC.  Strangely the Hardware Maintenance
Manual doesn=E2=80=99t mention NFC at all.

I was starting to think I might not even have an NFC module, but the
invoice clearly mentions it and there=E2=80=99s also an NFC setting in the =
BIOS
(which is set to Enabled).

Any suggestions?  What make of NFC module does Lenovo build into the
X240 (and the othe Haswell Thinkpads)?  Are there any Linux drivers
available?

    -- Leon.

[1]: <http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=3DDS03591=
2>