[ltp] Can't start Windows after drive swap - openSUSE 13.1

Kevin Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 2 May 2014 21:27:20 -0600

On Fri, 2014-05-02 at 22:36 -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Kevin Locke wrote:
>> On Fri, 2014-05-02 at 20:03 -0400, James Knott wrote:
>>> I recently replaced the hard drive on my Thinkpad E520 with a larger
>>> one.  I have moved all the partitions over and can now boot into Linux,
>>> but I can not boot into Windows 7.  After installing the Windows
>>> partition, but before installing the Linux partition, I could boot into
>>> Windows.  I have checked and rechecked the grub menu and also verified
>>> that /boot/grup/menu.lst & device.map are correct, but I still cannot
>>> boot into Windows.
>>
>> Windows is a bit sensitive to partition and disk geometry changes.
>> GParted has some useful suggestions in their FAQ (#14 and #15)[1].
>> "bootrec /fixboot" and "bootrec /rebuildbcd" may be useful.  Just be
>> aware that if you run "bootrec /fixmbr" or the automated repair,
>> you'll need to reinstall GRUB onto your MBR afterwards.
>
> It booted OK, before I moved the Linux partitions over and set up grub.
> Also, it's a different problem than mentioned in that article.  The
> chain loader doesn't start it.

"bootrec /fixboot" in particular has worked for me with similar
symptoms to the ones you described, which is why I linked to that page
even though it does not list those symptoms specifically (I didn't
have a better reference handy).  But you are certainly under no
obligation to try it.

Kevin