[ltp] Re: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 09 May 2014 21:14:40 +0200

Nikos Alexandris <nik@nikosalexandris.net> writes:
> On 08.05.2014 18:48, rjbrooksjr wrote:
>
>> Question.. when the kernel updates, do I need to do something to
>> remove the
>> patch made above, or will the new kernel end up replacing this patch?
>
> I guess so.

If you install in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates then you don't have to
do anything as long as the output of "uname -r" doesn't change, which it
rarely does.  Most distros try to keep this ABI version stable, if they
can.  The patched driver will stay in that directory after the kernel
upgrade, and will be used instead of the one coming with the kernel
package.

If "uname -r" does change, then you will have to rebuild the patched
driver for the new version, using the same procedure.  Except that
chances are good you can just ignore source changes and rebuild using
the same source with new kernel headers.  This will usually work fine as
long as the version change is a minor ABI change only.  I.e. as long as
the kernel base version (like "3.14") stays the same.

Bjørn