[ltp] X301 SSD replacement

Rob Kendrick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 May 2014 13:13:55 +0100

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 01:27:52PM +0200, Martin Bock wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I am looking for a new SSD for my Thinkpad X301 2774-26G.
>
> Is there some BIOS restriction or blacklist that would limit my choices?
> Or can I install any SSD with the right form factor and connectors?

I have an X301 (not sure which type, it's not here) and I've
investigated this.  It does appear that the usual obnoxiousness is not
there.

I tried an mSATA <-> 1.8 SATA converter (which I picked up from eBay for
about £4), and an OCZ mSATA SSD.  The machine booted quite happily and
the Debian installer detected the drive.

I then popped the Toshiba drive back in, because I've not gotten around
to buying a sufficiently large mSATA SSD to make the upgrade worthwhile
yet.

B.