[ltp] W500 with resolution 2560x1080

Tue, 20 May 2014 10:32:59 -0400

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Maciej Musial <maciejrobert@gmail.com> wro=
te:
> Hello Linux Thinkpad Group :)
>
> I've got Thinkpad W500, currently working on Mint 16. I was wondering if =
it
> is possible to connect to monitor with high, not standard resolution like
> 2560x1080.

Yes, it should work.

> I saw last time monitor LG 25UM65-P 21:9 2560x1080. It looks great but I'=
> afraid that there will be some problems with my W500.
>
> It has DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort, W500 has DisplayPort and DSub.

There's also dual-link DVI on the w500 docking stations.

> I've never used DisplayPort and I'm not even sure if it working correctly=
 on
> linux? Eventually if it would be possible to use DisplayPort eventually s=
ome
> DSub -> DVI convertor?

Displayport should work fine.  You can use passive converters on
displayport to convert to HDMI/DVI, but you are limited to single link
(max display clock of 165Mhz).  For duallink DVI or VGA, you need to
use an active displayport converter.

Alex