[ltp] X301 SSD replacement

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 21 May 2014 09:52:51 +0200

Martin Bock <ixel@gmx.de> writes:

> Dear all,
>

> I am looking for a new SSD for my Thinkpad X301 2774-26G.
>
> Is there some BIOS restriction or blacklist that would limit my choices?
> Or can I install any SSD with the right form factor and connectors?

There are no BIOS restrictions AFAIK, but I got some feedback indicating
that there might be trouble with some SSDs after reporting my success
story here.

FWIW, I bought an Intel mSATA SSD and a 1.8" to mSATA adapter and had no
problem using that in my 2776LEG X301. Given the availability and
pricing of 1.8" SSDs I recommend doing the same. The adapter is just a
cheap, passive thing.  Anything from eBay should work there. Note that
you cannot use a mSATA SSD in any of the mini-PCIe slots on the X301, so
you do need the adapter.

The exact SSD I am using is a 240GB Intel 525 (SSDMCEAC240B3), but I
don't see why newer ones shouldn't work equally well.

Bjørn