[ltp] Re-mapped End key results in stuck E key

Matt Horan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 25 May 2014 22:42:43 -0400

Richard -

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 01:13:01AM +0100, Richard Neill wrote:
> Just a guess, but this sounds more like a misbehaving KDE/Gnome
> "Sticky-keys" feature. Sometimes these features are automatically
> activated by a long-press on Ctrl. (Is it possible that maybe you got a
> package upgrade that took effect at the same time as the BIOS upgrade)

Good hypothesis. I can confirm that this is not a KDE/GNOME issue as the
repeat happens in the terminal as well as in X.

Also, as reported on the Arch forums, the issue goes away when the BIOS
is downgraded to an earlier version.

> Anyway, xev is quite helpful for debugging, while xmodmap and xbindkeys
> can help with the mappings. I'm not necessarily sure you need to go as
> far as udev-rules for this.

The udev rules are required for the remap to work properly after suspend
and resume, as well as in the console. xmodmap and xbindkeys are great,
but they do not persist, and only map from within X. If you've worked
with the new X1 Carbon, you may understand how frustrating that is.

Thanks for your suggestions! I really do think it is a BIOS issue given
that the downgrade resolves the issue.

--
Matt Horan matt@matthoran.com http://matthoran.com/