[ltp] X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Paul Seelig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:58:04 +0100

On 11/13/2014 01:53 PM, birger wrote:
> Two of my children have X60s with 5GB RAM, SSD and 64-bit fedora. :-)

As outlined in my former reply to Uwe, X60(s) are technically not
capable of taking advantage of more than 3GB RAM, regardless whether a
32bit or 64bit OS is used.

An amount of 5GB RAM would mean one 4GB module and one 1GB module in
either memory bank. It would surprise me if this would actually work in
any X60(s) variant.

Supposedly your children are in fact running X61(s) machines featuring
the Santa Rosa chipset and capable of actually addressing this amount,
or the complete amount of RAM is detected and seen, but not fully used.

To verify, maybe you could as one of your children to provide the output
of following commands:

# free

and

# dmidecode -t 6

and

# dmidecode -t 1

This lists the amount of actually used memory, and also provides details
about the equipment of the memory slots and the Thinkpad variant. Should
you reply, please make sure to exclude any serial number information of
the output of the latter command from being posted.

Regards,
Paul