[ltp] X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Fri, 14 Nov 2014 21:12:21 +0000

On 14/11/14 20:30, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> I don't mean that they changed the typing mechanism or the size of the
> keys, no I mean the distribution is changed dramatically, important keys
> are missing.
>
> Since I am a touch typist using the same keyboard  for the last 15 years,
> this is as close to disaster as it gets.

Some of the keyboard layout changes aren't actually that bad, most of
the missing functions are still there (eg Sysrq, PrtSc etc, even
Caps-lock (double-tap on shift)). There's even one clear improvement:
Ctrl is now where it should be (bottom left corner), while Fn has been
moved out of the way. Also, although the key-travel is reduced, it's
actually nice to type on.

The real gotchas are:

1. That *horrible* LCD e-Ink / resistive touch-screen function key
replacement. It's annoying to have to mode-switch between Fn keys and
volume keys, especially as one can't feel where the keys are, and they
are really sluggish to respond to mode-changes or to actual keypresses..

2. The atrocious mess that is the clickpad: which requires far too much
force to operate it, and again is very awkward to use in trackpoint mode.

3. Lastly, if you get the touchscreen model, it's much less clear than
the non-touch versions: because the screen is more reflective as well as
less contrasty.

Best wishes,

Richard