[ltp] X300 getting stuck on lowest frequency

Mark Rosenstand linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Nov 2014 10:13:32 +0100

--001a1134fc3acefb4d0507e22806

Hello list,

My favorite ThinkPad is getting stuck on 800 MHz every couple of days,
requiring a reboot to reset.
I don't believe it's a new issue, but with applications getting heavier and
heavier, it is now barely
usable when running at that frequency. (Thank you, GNOME 3.)

In the BIOS the scaling modes are set to automatic for both AC and battery.
I've tried to set
it to "Maximum performance" for AC, but it doesn't seem to make a
difference. Disabling
SpeedStep altogether seems to be the only option to avoid the problem, but
that of course
affects the temperature, which makes my already-aggressively-configured
thinkfan(1) jump from
level 1 to 2 -- which on this model means ~5200 RPM instead of ~2000 RPM.

The OS (Debian testing) uses the ondemand governor. When the machine is
stuck,
/sys/bus/cpu/devices/cpu{0,1}/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq shows 800000, so I'm
pretty sure this
is a BIOS/firmware issue. The BIOS installed is the latest available (1.10).

The laptop is primarily used on AC. I open and close the lid (suspend) a
couple of times a day.
Occasionally, I unplug it from AC and use it on battery. I have no idea
which of the two triggers
this behaviour from the BIOS, but the machine is having the issue as I type
this, and IIRC it
hasn't been unplugged from AC since last boot.

I also have a T410s and a X220, none of which seem to behave this way, but
as the X300 is still
my preferred Thinkpad, I don't use them that much.

Has anyone else tried or heard of this? Ideas?

--001a1134fc3acefb4d0507e22806

ting stuck on 800 MHz every couple of days, requiring a reboot to reset.</d=
iv><div>I don&#39;t believe it&#39;s a new issue, but with applications get=
ting heavier and heavier, it is now barely</div><div>usable when running at=
 the scaling modes are set to automatic for both AC and battery. I&#39;ve t=
ried to set</div><div>it to &quot;Maximum performance&quot; for AC, but it =
doesn&#39;t seem to make a difference. Disabling</div><div>SpeedStep altoge=
ther seems to be the only option to avoid the problem, but that of course</=
div><div>affects the temperature, which makes my already-aggressively-confi=
gured thinkfan(1) jump from</div><div>level 1 to 2 -- which on this model m=
n testing) uses the ondemand governor. When the machine is stuck,</div><div=
#39;m pretty sure this</div><div>is a BIOS/firmware issue. The BIOS install=
rimarily used on AC. I open and close the lid (suspend) a couple of times a=
 day.</div><div>Occasionally, I unplug it from AC and use it on battery. I =
have no idea which of the two triggers</div><div>this behaviour from the BI=
OS, but the machine is having the issue as I type this, and IIRC it</div><d=
div>I also have a T410s and a X220, none of which seem to behave this way, =
but as the X300 is still</div><div>my preferred Thinkpad, I don&#39;t use t=
his? Ideas?</div></div>

--001a1134fc3acefb4d0507e22806--