[ltp] ssd+tricks, performance

Uwe Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 Nov 2014 20:14:03 +0100

Hi

There are a lot of articles about what are the best tricks to enhance
performance and life span of a SSD disk (Paul recently posted quite a
bunch).
(I have a Samsung 840 (no pro) installed)

Things I am relative sure about:

    -  fstab: one should use the noatime and nodiratime option

 /               jfs     nodiratime,noatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1

(I do not use the discard option, but run fstrim via cron.

    -  I set the I/O scheduler to noop.

Things I am not  sure about:

    -  how often should I run fstrim? Right now I run it every hour but maybe
       every day is sufficient?

    -  what is about the recommendation to have

 tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0

In my fstab?? It seems that my Kubuntu 10.04 does not ship tmpfs so I
should compile it myself.

Any comments?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer