quick WiFi question - Re: [ltp] T440s configuration (buying) experiences

D. Hugh Redelmeier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:39:01 -0500 (EST)

| From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br>

| Be warned that none of these cards are capable of AP mode.  They will work
| as STAs (i.e. connect to an access point) just fine, of course.  But they
| cannot behave as an AP (access point).

Really?  That's horrible!  I thought all cards could do AP, STA, and
ad hoc.  Is there some place I can read about this?

I know some of chipsets don't have Linux drivers for AP mode.

I'm not even up to date on whether any open source drivers can do ac.
At one point they could not.

I tried the "iw phy" command on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with a low-end
Intel 7260 (only 2.4GHz band).  It lists AP and AP/VLAN as supported
interface modes.

I tried it on my ThinkPad t530 with an Intel Centrino Ultimate N 6300
and there is no AP mode listed.  Crap.  Mind you AP and AP/VLAN are
supported frame types for both TX and RX.  I wonder how that could
work.