[ltp] Re: Very slow starting X200 (pre-grub)

Paul van der Vlis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Nov 2014 16:37:56 +0100

Op 26-11-14 om 20:56 schreef Nikos Alexandris:
> On 26.11.2014 21:23, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I did some experiments and now my Lenovo X200 laptop boots very slow.
>> I think it takes 20 minutes from pressing the power-button till I see
>> grub. What to do?
>>
>> Background:
>> I would like to experiment with AMT and I thought: lets install the
>> latest bios firmware. I did install it, and I rebooted and everything
>> seems to be OK. AMT was enabled during the install.
>>
>> Then I configered ME using F12 and rebooted. I did not see anything
>> after rebooting anymore. After some experiments I did leave the laptop
>> on, and later I saw it has booted and I could reset the the bios to
>> defaults and turn-off AMT.
>>
>> After rebooting I had to wait long again, and I did press "Y" after the
>> question to remove AMT. But it did not help, it still takes very long to
>> start the laptop...
>>
>> Maybe I need to install an older bios again?
>
> Perhaps. Taking so long might be the bios reading the memory (RAM)
> step-by-step.

Ah, I've a 4 GB module and a 1GB module.

I've flashed older firmware what works fine on other laptops (x200s,
this is a x200 without "s"), but I the same problem: very slow boot.
Not sure what was the firmware I used before on this machine...

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl/