[ltp] Trying to get Suspend to RAM working on an X31 (John Magolske)

Dan Saint-Andre linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 04 Oct 2014 13:59:02 -0500

--------------020804010808030401020707

The last time I fought this issue, I learned that suspend-to-RAM [aka,
sleep] required a suitable swap space.  With 16GB of ram, I never used
any swap space and thus did not configure a swap file system.  Once I
added swap partition, I got sleep to work.

There are still some wrinkles with sleep operation.  These wrinkles are
worse during suspend-to-disk [aka, hibernate].  Your video hardware
might not wake up correctly. This depends a lot on what was going on, on
screen, at the time you went to sleep. This usually involved low-battery
event causing a sleep/hibernate event while the video was working at
something like playing a video or similar.  For me, CTRL-ALT-BKSP
(restart Xorg) usually fixed things.

Some network hardware suffers from similar troubles when it wakes up.
It was rare that I could repair this with any sort of warm-restart of
connections, drivers, or similar. I usually had to reboot.

Both of the above were very hardware specific.

Regards,
~~~ 0;-Dan

--------------020804010808030401020707

  <head>

  </head>
    The last time I fought this issue, I learned that suspend-to-RAM
    [aka, sleep] required a suitable swap space.  With 16GB of ram, I
    never used any swap space and thus did not configure a swap file
    system.  Once I added swap partition, I got sleep to work.<br>
    There are still some wrinkles with sleep operation.  These wrinkles
    are worse during suspend-to-disk [aka, hibernate].  Your video
    hardware might not wake up correctly. This depends a lot on what was
    going on, on screen, at the time you went to sleep. This usually
    involved low-battery event causing a sleep/hibernate event while the
    video was working at something like playing a video or similar.  For
    me, CTRL-ALT-BKSP (restart Xorg) usually fixed things.<br>
    Some network hardware suffers from similar troubles when it wakes
    up.  It was rare that I could repair this with any sort of
    warm-restart of connections, drivers, or similar. I usually had to
    reboot.<br>
    Both of the above were very hardware specific.<br>
    Regards,<br>
    ~~~ 0;-Dan<br>

--------------020804010808030401020707--