[ltp] UEFI firmware updates for "BIOS Extreme Privilege Escalation"

Jochen Spieker linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Oct 2014 23:27:07 +0200

--jL2BoiuKMElzg3CS

Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DC CD):
> On 2014-10-22 21:41, Jochen Spieker wrote:
>> [...]
>> Not strictly Linux-related but I guess many of us need to patch their
>> systems:
>>=20
>> http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/uefi_edk2
>>=20
> Thanks Jochen!
>=20
> Does someone know if this is as bad as the description on
> http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/552286
> makes it sound ("A local authenticated attacker may be able to execute
> arbitrary code with the privileges of system firmware"), or does it
> require actual root-access to exploit?

This presentation assumes local admin privileges to exploit the issue:

https://www.mitre.org/publications/technical-papers/presentation-extreme-pr=
ivilege-escalation-on-windows-8uefi-systems

It also mentions that a new Windows 8 API is necessary. I have no idea
whether a pure !Windows system may be exploitable as well.

J.
--=20
I am no longer prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt.
[Agree]   [Disagree]

--jL2BoiuKMElzg3CS

--jL2BoiuKMElzg3CS--