[ltp] Re: The last Thinkpad to have

Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:54:46 +0100

On 01.09.2014 23:27, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Thanks for bringing this up. I just made an article
>> (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Old_ThinkPad_Niches) in case Wiki users
>> are looking for this information.
>
> Thanks.  I'd also be interested in "the last 16:10" thinkpads (since it
> seems all new ones have moved to 16:9).

This is indeed a useful resource. Another question would be "last
thinkpad to have a trackpoint with real buttons"
(as opposed to the clickpad in the X1 carbon Gen2).

Incidentally, much though I hate the trend towards ever shorter screens,
it is at least becoming less bad than it was.
Firstly, we are at least getting high-res screens now, so the shortage
of vertical pixels is a little less severe. Also,
some interfaces are adapting a little (eg auto-hiding panel, widgets
such as "maximus"), and applications have toolbars on the left and
right.
Nevertheless, the 12" screen on an X60 is still bigger than the 14.1 on
an X1 Carbon!

Given how many of our ideal features seem to be becoming endangered...
and looking at the success of the Novena,
maybe it's time to start a kickstarter and develop our own...