[ltp] Headset connector on newer Thinkpads

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 05 Sep 2014 08:10:38 +0200

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 05:36:38PM +0300, Kamen Naydenov wrote:
>>On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Joerg Bruehe <joerg.bruehe@web.de> wrote:
>>> Dear all!
>>>

>>> I got a Thinkpad T530 and am now searching for a headset.
>>>
>>> The analogue connector is just a single 3.5 mm socket with 4 leads,
>>> combining earphones and microphone in one. Checking several local shops=
, I
>>> did not find a suitable headset - they either have 2 plugs of 3.5 mm wi=
th 3
>>> leads each, or they use USB.
>>>
>>> 1) Does anybody know a brand producing headsets with the single 4-lead =
3.5
>>> mm plug?
>>May be:
>>http://urbanrevolt.com/en/collection/headphones/duga-headset
>>They come with single 3.5 mm plug and conversion cable for separate
>>microphone input and headphone output.
>
> Or there are readily-available adapters to convert an existing
> headset's two plugs into a 4-pole single plug, e.g.:
>
>   http://www.startech.com/Cables/Audio-Video/Audio-Cables/~MUYHSMFF
>
> which is what I use.

I cannot find much information about the pinout of these 4pin
connectors. Do anyone happen to know whether the Thinkpads use the
"Apple" pinout (the sleeve contact is microphone) the sane one (the
sleeve is ground)?

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_%28audio%29#TRRS_standards

And that *is* an issue.  Or at least it was. I got burnt a few years ago
buying a Koss PortaPro with mic, thinking that I could use it with the
Sony Ericsson X10 mini I was using at the time...  That's when I
discovered that Apple had invented their own variant of this connector,
and that all accessory vendors of course only targeted the iPhone.

But I guess everyone has adapted to the Apple way now, so this is maybe
not an issue anymore?

Bjørn