[ltp] Haswell audio stutter and CPU load

Jochen Spieker linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 5 Sep 2014 15:28:20 +0200

--xGGVyNQdqA79rdfn

Hi,

I am running Debian sid on an X240 with the most recent kernel available
=66rom experimental (3.16 "trunk"). Since a few weeks ago I noticed
strange system behaviour:

- Audio output sometimes appears to be "stuck". I hear a loop of less
  than one second, repeated several times until the issue solves itself.
  First I thought it had something todo with HD video (720p or 1080p
  Youtube or local MP4), but yesterday I had the same issue when playing
  an MP3 with mplayer. The system still responds to user input when
  audio is broken like that.

- Sometimes I can see high system CPU usage for several seconds. When I
  am fast enough to open top I can see that CPU time is spent on one or
  several "migration" kernel threads. When this happens, the system is
  slow to respond to user input.

I don't know whether there is any real connection between both issues,
but I think they appeared at about the same time. I also tried
downgrading to kernel 3.14 but that didn't solve it.

Any ideas?

J.
--=20
I use a Playstation to block out the existence of my partner.
[Agree]   [Disagree]

--xGGVyNQdqA79rdfn

--xGGVyNQdqA79rdfn--