[ltp] thinkwiki registration? unofficial max mem report

Lars Wirzenius linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Sep 2014 16:47:18 +0100

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 01:55:42PM +0200, rappard@dds.nl wrote:
> Semi-thread hijack: what's the minimum amount of RAM needed to run
> open-source virtualization software (KVM, VirtualBox, Xen, ...)
> somewhat decently/non-sluggishly? 8 GB? I probably won't run more than
> one VM at the same time.

You need, in practice, about as much memory as you need to use the
virtualisation host normally, plus the RAM of each virtual machine
guest. If that's more than your physical RAM, it will work, but be
very slow, due to excessive swapping.

I used to run, on an X200s with 8 GiB RAM, five virtual machines with
1 GiB RAM each, leaving two GiB for the host (desktop, various
terminal windows, e-mail, etc; web browser was too much). It was not
great, but it worked well enough. Only one of the VMs was doing any
serious work (it was a continuous integration system: the VM doing
work was running a build-and-test, while the rest were idle).

--
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers
http://obnam.org/ -- HAVE YOU BACKED UP TODAY?