[ltp] Re: CPUs that can work in a T61

dastardlyman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Sep 2014 01:50:44 -0700 (MST)

well worth re-visiting a google search for this whole topic. our german
friends HAVE got Q9000 quad core cpus to run in T61 laptops - they cracked
it less than a year ago.

I bought a T61 by accident two weeks ago - (don't ask).
it seems to be one of the most modified and enthusiast friendly laptops ever
made.
ive popped a "middleton" bios in my T61 and it now runs a penryn cpu and
faster sata and any wifi card.

because of all that I have read online - just bought ANOTHER T61 which im
going to hack-up so it will run 1066fsb. T9400 cpus are cheap and should run
very nicely thank you.

the current major issue with a quad core in a T61 is HEAT (and ram clocks
and a good ac-adapter)
even with the best cooling fan its hard to keep them stable on air cooling.

:-)