SV: Re: [ltp] X1 firs/second generation, X230 or X240 new keyboard design

Steve McIntyre linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 27 Sep 2014 14:05:59 +0100

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 02:55:47PM +0200, Birger wrote:

>I guess it is the same as the transition to the new style island
>keys. A lot of noise from a few users, but the majority actually
>liked them better.

What do you have to back up that "majority" claim, though?

>We have quite a few journalists and ad designers using the x1, and i
>have yet to hear a complaint from them about the keyboard layout. The
>touch strip gets some comments, and the integrated mouse buttons in
>the trackpad get a few more. If that is representative of the
>feedback lenovo gets then those actively wanting the old layout back
>are a small minority. Lenovo probably think it makes sense to keep
>the new layout even if a few customers switch to other brands or buy
>other models.

Clearly you're living in a very different environment from the rest of
us. Without fail, everybody I know who has tried an X240 has hated the
changes. Maybe non-engineer customers are just less vocal with
feedback and will just go elsewhere rather than try to improve things?

"Managing a volunteer open source project is a lot like herding
 kittens, except the kittens randomly appear and disappear because they
 have day jobs." -- Matt Mackall