SV: Re: SV: Re: [ltp] X1 firs/second generation, X230 or X240 new keyboard design

Sat, 27 Sep 2014 15:45:53 +0100

> Clearly you're living in a very different environment from the rest of
> us. Without fail, everybody I know who has tried an X240 <tel:240> has
> hated the
> changes. Maybe non-engineer customers are just less vocal with
> feedback and will just go elsewhere rather than try to improve things?

I can't understand Lenovo here: the reason we buy thinkpads (mostly) is
that they have a great trackpoint, with a reasonably decent (albeit very
expensive) integrated laptop!

This sounds like a great opportunity for a retro-fitted aftermarket to
replace the clickpads. It shouldn't be that hard to do... I, for one,
would certainly pay a premium for a set of 3 buttons that go where the
clickpad currently is, if they are well designed, comfortable to use,
and the software integrates correctly (including emulate-wheel).

How hard would it be to modify a spare clickpad, by slicing it up with a
dremel, and putting in some microswitches?

Altneratively, a partial software-only fix for this would be to allow
taps to register as clicks.

Richard