[ltp] x61: Fan error

Matt Jenny linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 1 Apr 2015 23:34:36 -0400

--001a114031a0ccbc680512b582eb

That is an older method of thermal paste application, if the X61/s heatsink
is like the T61/p then it has enough pressure that the paste will spread
itself and not need to be spread. The approx. 3mm blob is what I would
recommend on the CPU side. If the chipset/GPU use thermal pads then there
may be too much clearance for paste to be used. I have seen that a few
times, but I have not worked on a X61/s before to this extent,. You also
need to be careful when using silver-based thermal pastes because they are
conductive.

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:13 PM, Helen Borrie <helebor@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> At 02:14 p.m. 2/04/2015, Helen Borrie wrote:
>
> >Cut pieces of the draught strip to fit the areas.  You will probably need
> to cut the sides of the tape to fit around the heatpipes at top and side.
> Keep the small offcuts for covering the ends and corners.  Remove the
> backing strips and apply the foam strips firmly.
>
> Missed a step, didn't I?
>
> Thermal paste: put a 3mm spot of paste in the centre of the CPU and
> another in the centre of the heatsink base.  Use a CLEAN edge of the credit
> card to smooth down so that the layer of paste on each is even only just
> opaque.
>
> DON'T OMIT THIS! <G>
> If there are any holes in the paste pads for the GPUs, carefully cut out
> the uneven edges using a clean edge of the card as a blade.  Clean off any
> crumbs of paste that are left on the GPUs, wipe off with ppa and polish
> with a clean part of the mf cloth.  Apply enough paste to both surfaces and
> scrape off excess, as you did with the CPU.
>

> >That's it.  Now, just work back in reverse, reassembling the machine.
> Before you proceed, though, get the Lenovo Product number and the FRU from
> the bottom of the fan assembly, in case your fan is damaged beyond repair.
>
> --

--001a114031a0ccbc680512b582eb

he X61/s heatsink is like the T61/p then it has enough pressure that the pa=
ste will spread itself and not need to be spread. The approx. 3mm blob is w=
hat I would recommend on the CPU side. If the chipset/GPU use thermal pads =
then there may be too much clearance for paste to be used. I have seen that=
 a few times, but I have not worked on a X61/s before to this extent,. You =
also need to be careful when using silver-based thermal pastes because they=
ote">On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:13 PM, Helen Borrie <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a=
 href=3D"mailto:helebor@iinet.net.au" target=3D"_blank">helebor@iinet.net.a=
n:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><span class=3D"">=
At 02:14 p.m. 2/04/2015, Helen Borrie wrote:<br>
&gt;Cut pieces of the draught strip to fit the areas.=C2=A0 You will probab=
ly need to cut the sides of the tape to fit around the heatpipes at top and=
 side.=C2=A0 Keep the small offcuts for covering the ends and corners.=C2=
=A0 Remove the backing strips and apply the foam strips firmly.<br>
Thermal paste: put a 3mm spot of paste in the centre of the CPU and another=
 in the centre of the heatsink base.=C2=A0 Use a CLEAN edge of the credit c=
ard to smooth down so that the layer of paste on each is even only just opa=
que.<br>
DON&#39;T OMIT THIS! &lt;G&gt;<br>
If there are any holes in the paste pads for the GPUs, carefully cut out th=
e uneven edges using a clean edge of the card as a blade.=C2=A0 Clean off a=
ny crumbs of paste that are left on the GPUs, wipe off with ppa and polish =
with a clean part of the mf cloth.=C2=A0 Apply enough paste to both surface=
s and scrape off excess, as you did with the CPU.<br>
&gt;That&#39;s it.=C2=A0 Now, just work back in reverse, reassembling the m=
achine.=C2=A0 Before you proceed, though, get the Lenovo Product number and=
 the FRU from the bottom of the fan assembly, in case your fan is damaged b=
eyond repair.<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>