[ltp] x61: Fan error

Paul Bolle linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 02 Apr 2015 23:45:27 +0200

Hi Helen,

On Thu, 2015-04-02 at 15:13 +1300, Helen Borrie wrote:
> At 02:14 p.m. 2/04/2015, Helen Borrie wrote:
>
> >Cut pieces of the draught strip to fit the areas.  You will probably
> need to cut the sides of the tape to fit around the heatpipes at top
> and side.  Keep the small offcuts for covering the ends and corners.
> Remove the backing strips and apply the foam strips firmly.
>
> Missed a step, didn't I?
>
> Thermal paste: put a 3mm spot of paste in the centre of the CPU and
> another in the centre of the heatsink base.  Use a CLEAN edge of the
> credit card to smooth down so that the layer of paste on each is even
> only just opaque.
>
> DON'T OMIT THIS! <G>
> If there are any holes in the paste pads for the GPUs, carefully cut
> out the uneven edges using a clean edge of the card as a blade.  Clean
> off any crumbs of paste that are left on the GPUs, wipe off with ppa
> and polish with a clean part of the mf cloth.  Apply enough paste to
> both surfaces and scrape off excess, as you did with the CPU.
>

> >That's it.  Now, just work back in reverse, reassembling the machine.
> Before you proceed, though, get the Lenovo Product number and the FRU
> from the bottom of the fan assembly, in case your fan is damaged
> beyond repair.

As I mentioned in another branch of this thread, I sprayed the fan from
the outside with canned air to great effect. Fan seems to be working
again.

Feel free to mock me at great length for the long term damage this silly
approach might cause. And thanks for the detailed instructions: I'm sure
someone, somewhere will be delighted to read them. Say, me, in a couple
of months.

Thanks,

Paul Bolle

PS List administrators: it seems your Reply-To header forces me to
manually change the recipient of my messages to the original sender. Can
you please stop adding a Reply-to header?