[ltp] X240: Sudden battery death

Jochen Spieker linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 7 Dec 2015 21:48:00 +0100

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

Hi,

about one and a half years ago I bought an X240 with the 6-cell/72Wh
battery.  From almost the beginning I monitored the battery status using
a small custom munin plugin. Here's a static copy of the current state
(previous year/month/week/day from Munin):

http://well-adjusted.de/~jrspieker/battery-death/

What you can see is that the battery health appeared to be pretty stable
over the last 12 months. But in less than two weeks, the remaining
capacity ("last full" from /sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/energy_full)
dropped from 94% to 18% in three steps!

I usually use the laptop on AC, but every or every other week I need to
unplug it anyway and then try to discharge at least the external battery
completely. Unfortunately, I cannot tell how many charging cycles it had
because cycle_count returns 0 for some reason.

Aside from running "tlp recalibrate", is there anything I can do to
revive the battery? The wiki article is a bit dated.

Isn't this behavior a little bit surpising? I am aware that my usage
pattern isn't the best way to treat a battery, but I still didn't
expect the health to detoriate that quickly. I probably cannot expect a
gesture of goodwill from Lenovo either?

Regards,
Jochen.
--=20
If all my friends had Playstations I would buy a Nintendo to prove my
individuality.
[Agree]   [Disagree]

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+--