[ltp] X240: Sudden battery death

Jochen Spieker linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 8 Dec 2015 10:37:39 +0100

--7ZAtKRhVyVSsbBD2

Jeffrey L. Taylor:
> Quoting Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de>:
>>=20
>> I usually use the laptop on AC, but every or every other week I need to
>> unplug it anyway and then try to discharge at least the external battery
>> completely. Unfortunately, I cannot tell how many charging cycles it had
>> because cycle_count returns 0 for some reason.
>>=20
>=20
> Why are you discharging the external battery completely?  If it is NiCad
> (Nickel Cadmium) this is resonable behavior (the memory effect).  If it's=
> lithium battery, this will kill it quickly.

"Completely" as in "down to 5%, then the internal battery takes over". I
don't do a deep-discharge, of course.

Mainly I want to avoid only ever charging from 80 to 95% and since I
have bought extra warranty for the internal battery, I want to make use
of that, too.

As I said, I am aware that this is not the best way to treat a battery.
But I am still surprised by it becoming almost useless in less than two
weeks.

J.
--=20
There is no justice in road accidents.