[ltp] Repairing Thinkpad chargers

Timothy Murphy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:32:29 +0000

On Monday 23 February 2015 09:15:22 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> > I have a couple of Thinkpad chargers which do not work.
> > I was just wondering - before I throw them away -
> > if there is any common cause for charger failure
> > that can be remedied reasonably simply?
>
> Faulty cabling and connectors.  Anything else requires electronics
> repair (which is doable by anyone used to repairing switching power
> supplies, though).

Thanks for your response.
"Electronics repair" is not my forte, unfortunately.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the connectors -
I've had other Thinkpads in the past with faulty connectors -
I suspect in the computer rather than the charger -
and found this problem surprisingly difficult to solve.

I've just been clearing out old computers,
and found 6 faulty Thinkpads, mostly T23's or other T2?'s.
I've 6 working Thinkpads left, one T23, two T43's,
T60, T61 and T520.
I'm surprised how well the T23 works, under XP and Fedora-11.
I'm confirmed in my disbelief that computers are getting
better and better ...

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net