[ltp] Thinkpad keyboard backlight ACPI interface

Pali Rohár linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Jul 2015 13:43:41 +0200

On Tuesday 28 July 2015 13:17:58 Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I would like to write kernel patch for thinkpad_acpi.c to support
> > keyboard backlight (like other modules in drivers/platform/x86/ tree),
> > but last missing information is how to detect current level of
> > brightness and check if backlight is supported...
>
> Based on the code you posted, I would assume that MLCG returns the
> current brightness level.  Did you test that?

Of course and it returns:

0x50200 - off
0x50201 - level 1
0x50202 - level 2

But I do not understand why it returns 0x5020{0,1,2} and not only 0,1,2.

MLCS returns 0x0.

> The thinkpad_acpi driver use code like this to test for supported
> features:
>
>       tp_features.bluetooth = hkey_handle && acpi_evalf(hkey_handle, &status, "GBDC", "qd");
>
> You could do something similar for the keyboard backlight feature,
> couldn't you?

Sounds good, but I do not know what "GBDC" and "qd" means... :-(
So because of that I need some "documentation" which say how to do it.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com