[ltp] X60s/200s with SSD, encrypted disk

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Jun 2015 19:38:33 +0200

Uwe Brauer <oub.oub.oub@gmail.com> writes:
>>> "Bjørn" == Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> writes:
>
>    > If your SSD supports encryption "in hardware", and you don't need to
>    > protect your data against any entity likely to be able to break or
>    > backdoor that implementation, then that's an obvious choice.
>
>    > Advantages: No performance impact whatsoever (the SSD will run your =
data
>    > through the same encryption controller whether or not you set a
>    > password).  OS independent.  Encrypting everything, including the bo=
ot
>    > loader and boot loader configuration.
>
> Hm, sounds interesting. I have Samsung 840 EVO installed,
>
>     -  how do I know this feature is supported.

See the SSD documentation.  I don't know any other way.  Google found
this, which looks promising:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/ht=
ml/whitepaper/whitepaper06.html

>     -  how do I enable it?

By setting the ATA password.  You can do this in the BIOS setup.

> Any link is welcome.

This is about the Intel 320 SSD, but I believe the answers are
independent of vendor: https://communities.intel.com/thread/20537

Bjørn