[ltp] X60s/200s with SSD, encrypted disk

Christoph Schmees linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Jun 2015 22:55:30 +0200

Am 19.06.2015 um 17:22 schrieb Uwe Brauer:
> Hello
>=20
> I have to upgrade my Kubuntu 10.04 to at least 14.04.
> I have alreay upgraded the hard disk of both laptops to a SSD which was=

> the most notable performance boost I experienced so far.=20
>=20
> I would like to consider a 14.04 installation with an entirely encrypte=
> disk. However I fear performance problems and would welcome any comment=
> on that subject.
>=20

if you own a ThinkPad already, why don't you use the built-in HD
encryption based on the TPM? You can set a password in the BIOS,
and the encryption is totally transparent to any OS you use. I
use it a lot on machines with dual or multi boot. The *whole
disk* is encrypted, and none of the OSes knows about it. I must
admit that I never tested w/ SSD so far, so I don't know if there
is any impact.

hth, Christoph

--=20
Bitte keine Mails von USA-Providern wie AOL, me.com (Apple),
gmail (Google), hotmail/outlook.com (Microsoft) oder yahoo.
Solche Mails werden ohne R=FCckmeldung gel=F6scht.
Siehe <http://www.pc-fluesterer.info/wordpress/downloads>