[ltp] Who's playing with scaling_max_freq?

Thu, 28 Apr 2016 08:18:41 -0300

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016, at 22:23, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Max scaling_max_freq seems stuck at 1GHz even though it should be able
> to go up to 1.83GHz.
>
>     # echo 1833000
>     >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq; cat
>     /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
>     1000000
>     # cat
>     /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
>     1833000 1333000 1000000
>     #
>
> This is on a Thinkpad T60 running Debian stable.  Any idea what might be

Works on a Debian stable T43/p on kernels 3.18 and 4.4.  I don't recall
if I ever used Debian's 3.14 kernel in there, though.

Check dmesg (kernel log), pay close attention to everything ACPI.  Check
thermal limits.  Check termal sensors, your thinkpad has a truckload of
them.

Your thinkpad might be in need of a thermal sink reseat (and if you do
that, have "Arctic Silver 5" or something equally good and
*non-conductive, non-reactive* on hand to replace the CPU thermal
compound).

> causing this?  Or at least, which part of the system might cause
> scaling_max_freq to be (re)set to 1GHz right after I force-set it to
> 1.83GHz?
> Would it be some daemon like systemd or rather the kernel?

thermald might do it, but we don't install that thing by default in
Debian AFAIK.

  Henrique Holschuh