[ltp] Best replacement for X61s

Uwe Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 Jul 2016 19:01:39 +0000

   > On 07/25/2016 10:49 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   > shows
   > around,

   > Yes, sure. But I am really limited by the CPU power. My main use is
   > acually LaTeX, and although this is using a huge number of small files
   > (perfect for SSD), those are all cached and I don't expect a big
   > increase in speed for TeXing.

Hm I have done an analysis concerning start up, hibernating, shooting
down on the machine, plus start up and performance of RAM hungry
applications and the difference is considerable.

I have not done the same for vanilla

 latex foo.tex

>From the command line, although me impression is that it is faster.

I have not run this test since I use latex only within emacs, in any
case running latex requires some editor, and for that editor the
difference will be noticeable, which makes me repeat: a SSD is a huge
performance boost.

   > Plus, the fan is dying, there's a (small) crack in the housing and the
   > screen is getting loose. Nothing that cannot be fixed, but alltogether
   > too much work for an old machine. Of course I'll keep it as a
   > secondary machine.

Well this I understand, some time ago the bios batteries was dying and
the replacement was so expensive that I swore to myself, next time I buy
a second hand machine in Amazon.

   > asking

   > Same here.

   > points

   > And I guess there's no way to fit one of the old keyboards into a
   > new one? Has anyone tried/heard of that?

I asked a year ago in some list where there were also some IBM
technicians around and the answer was: forget it.