[ltp] X200s, X61s, turn on HDD (SDD, Samsung 840 EVO) BIOS, re-installation?

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Mar 2016 14:48:30 +0100

Uwe Brauer <oub.oub.oub@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> Several months ago, I asked about full disk encryption (I first was
> thinking about luks cm-crypt) but then I was pointed out to encryption
> "in hardware" which has no performance issue, but finally I did not do
> anything.
>
> Now I came back to that idea, but before enabling it I would like to
> know:
>
> Will that erase all my data and I have to reinstall everything?

No, it will not.  Enabling hardware disk encryption doesn't modify the
data, only the key metadata.  All data on disk is already encrypted.
But the key is not, until you set a password.

But big fat warning: Never trust this!  Make a full backup and be
prepared to start from scratch. Firmware can do all sorts of weird and
unexpected things.  If you are lucky, you won't have to reinstall.  But
don't be surprised if you have to.  Make the backup and reserve enough
time for a full reinstall before starting.

And do not blame me if anything goes wrong ;)

> I ask because this is happening if one wants to enable luks for a
> already installed OS.

luks has a performance penalty and will not encrypt anything unless you
explicitly configure it.  So yes, you will have to rewrite the entire
disk after enabling luks.

Bjørn