[ltp] X200s, X61s, turn on HDD (SDD, Samsung 840 EVO) BIOS, re-installation?

Yves-Alexis Perez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Mar 2016 22:49:36 +0100

--=-jZTBfl7bepaqY/ihDiw0

On jeu., 2016-03-10 at 14:48 +0100, Bj=C3=B8rn Mork wrote:
> But big fat warning: Never trust this!=C2=A0 Make a full backup and be
> prepared to start from scratch. Firmware can do all sorts of weird and
> unexpected things.=C2=A0 If you are lucky, you won't have to reinstall.=
=C2=A0 But
> don't be surprised if you have to.=C2=A0 Make the backup and reserve enou=
gh
> time for a full reinstall before starting.
>=20
> And do not blame me if anything goes wrong ;)

Note that we actually don't even know if the drive really encrypt stuff.

One thing to keep in mind, too, is that if it's your boot drive, the only w=
ay
to enter the password is the BIOS interface. When you set a password throug=
the BIOS setup menu, it won't actually pass that string to the disk, but
rather mix it with some data (usually the model number, stuff like that), h=
ash
it, *and then* pass it to the drive.

That means that you need that derivation algorithm if you ever want to gain
access to your data. If the BIOS (of your laptop, at least of the same mode=
l)
didn't unlock the drive and you don't know the algorithm, then you won't be
able to unlock it (for example with hdparm).

Regards,
--=20
Yves-Alexis

--=-jZTBfl7bepaqY/ihDiw0