[ltp] Which distro for R51?

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 25 Mar 2016 20:35:41 +0100

Hi Florian, all!

On 25.03.2016 12:20, Florian wrote:
> I was happy with running Debian 6 on my ancient Thinkpad R51 but now
> Debian 6 is outdated. Which distro can be recommended to use now? I
> already have checked several mini linux versions but they are all
> without regular updates.

Last week, Klaus Knopper showed Knoppix 7.7 at the CeBIT fair.
It is based on Debian stable ("Jessie"), but has newer versions of some=20
applications. The kernel is Linux 4.4, and it includes the glibc fix for =

CVE-2015-7547.

It comes as a live system, and you can then install it if you like.
The DVD holds both a 64 and a 32 (non-PAE!) bit system.

As Knoppix is Debian-based, it might be possible to update it from the=20
Debian repositories, but I have no info on that.

Regarding PAE: The R51's CPU has the feature, but doesn't announce it.=20
AIUI, this is an issue only with the initial installation, but neither=20
with operation nor with upgrades.

I will have to upgrade mine, too.

Regards,
J=C3=B6rg

--=20
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de