[ltp] Re: T430 (was RE: SL 7.2 - Gnome 3.14 - gnome-terminal - titles)

Stephen John Smoogen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 May 2016 12:06:48 -0400

On 13 May 2016 at 23:37, Carl Friedberg <friedberg@exs.esb.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> My first post in a long time. Today, I installed SL 7.2 (workstation opti=
ons

> including Gnome) from the 2-DVD distribution downloaded from the
>
> SL website, onto a Lenovo T430. On reboot, the system hung.

That sounds more like a kernel problem with the hardware. The black
screen means that it is stuck in rhgb quiet mode to make it pretty but
is hiding quietly the real problem. In the grub2 edit of a boot line
remove rhgb and quiet and try a reboot again. It should stop at a
certain point which will help pinpoint the error. [My guess with the
T430 is that it is one of the BIOS update issues. It could also be a
problem with an nvidia extra chipset in some of the units when it is
in a docking unit.]

> I tried the rescue option, hung also (by hung, I mean a completely black
>
> screen, no way to get a response).
>

> I did try the grub emergency boot, but I don't know enough about SL
>
> to do anything with that.
>

> Just another data point for those who might be interested
>

> Carl Friedberg
>
> www.comets.com
>
> carl.friedberg@comets.com
>
> http://about.me/carl.friedberg