[ltp] Re: X200s X60, SSD Samsung 840, trim, kernel, Kubuntu 10.04

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 29 May 2016 20:19:41 -0400

> I presume I have to upgrade Kubuntu, so the question is: is 14.04 enough
> or do I need a more modern kernel even. Is trim save? How often shall I
> run it, on every boot, once a week?

While using TRIM can make a difference.  IF your hard-disk is full
enough, TRIM won't help.  IOW the SSD has to have enough extra space of
its own in order to provide good performance when it's "full".

For this reason, I stopped worrying about TRIM (actually I stopped
worrying about it right around the time it started to be somewhat
usable without jumping through too many hoops).

IOW, I now use my SSDs without any special configuration and I haven't
noticed any performance issue (and I think we should *expect* the
performance to be good in such a situation).

        Stefan

PS: My SSDs include an old 120GB Samsung, a Samsung 840 of some sort,
and a 240GB Mushkin.