[ltp] trackpoint, touchpad, and buttons suddenly dead

DI Florian Reitmeir florian at reitmeir.org
Mon Aug 28 07:58:25 CEST 2017

Hi,

Am 27.08.2017 um 01:34 schrieb David Griffith:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2017, Andreas Ronnquist wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 11:38:11 +0000 (UTC),
>> David Griffith<dave at 661.org> wrote:
>>
>>> While I was using my T420, the touchpad suddenly stopped responding,
>>> as did the mouse buttons and trackpoint.  The output of xinput shows
>>> no PS/2 keyboard/mouse interface available.  The output of lsmod shows
>>> that the psmouse module is unused.  I checked the BIOS to see if
>>> somehow these got turned off.  I turned them off, rebooted, then
>>> rebooted again, and turned them back on again.  I removed the hard
>>> drive and inserted a Windows 7 hard drive I keep around for when I
>>> need to use Windows on this laptop. Still nothing.  All this while,
>>> the keyboard has continued to function as expected.
>>>
>>> What could have caused the ps/2 mouse interface to fail like this?
>>
>> I run into the same problem quite often with my T420 - but I
>> probably don't notice it as much, since I most often use Synergy [1]
>> for my mouse and keyboard on the laptop. As in your case, when I run
>> into this, a reboot isn't enough to get it working, but I do get the
>> touchpad and the other stuff working when I put the computer into
>> hibernate, and get it back up.
>>
>> 1: https://symless.com/synergy
>
> Hibernation and back doesn't help.  I'm thinking the motherboard is
> slowly dying.  I've had unexplained freezes for several months now,
> which I suspect are related.

I had same issues on a X260 with Windows.. and it turned out, that an
sd-card was in the card-reader which cases the troubles.
Freezing, Hibernation/Suspend Problems.

--
Dipl.-Inf. Florian Reitmeir | Pradlerstr 29a - Top 13 | 6020 Innsbruck
+43 670 6051903 | PGP E3F7 DDFB 7CEB 121B 156A D11F F22E DEC8 6317 5E70