[ltp] Installing Arch on a X220

Arno Trautmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 3 Feb 2017 21:03:39 +0100

Hi all,

I'm trying to install an Arch Linux on my "new" X220. So far I did not
succeed, getting stuck after the reboot since the boot loader do not
work. My first try was an EFI, the second I tried to get grub running,
but both did not work. Now, before I try again to provide thorough error
messages so that someone could help me, some general questions:

• Does anybody have managed to install Arch on the X220 and are there
some special things to consider?
• Should I try to get EFI running or is BIOS fine/better?
• For both cases: Does an SSD cause troubles? The machine has separate
HDD and SSD, so far I only tried the SSD.
• Regarding the latter one: I'm just curious, where the SSD is, but did
not find it upon a (not too far-going) disassembly. It's not a hybrid
drive, since I took out the HDD and it still booted (when windows was
still on it).

Really appreciate any hints here,
best
Arno