[ltp] Re: Brand new (but old) battery not charging

Sat, 25 Feb 2017 17:58:48 -0300

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > By checking the information given by
> > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/* I confirm that the battery
> > is new (first_use_date equals today and cycle_count is 0) but
> > I also confirm that the battery is really old (manufacture_date
> > is 2007-09-12).
>
> IIRC the expected shelf life of a li-ion battery is fairly limited
> (especially if kept in a hot environment, or if kept with very little
> charge, IIRC), so it's quite possible that your 10 year old battery is
> already dead.

It is possible for an *original* thinkpad battery to survive 10 years at
good condition, but *not* if it was forgotten on the shelf.

It takes:

1. Keeping it stored at ~10°C, non-condensing

2. Keeping it at 40-50% charge, so it needs to be partially recharged
   every so often.

I have a 9-cell for my T43 that was lightly used, and is stored like
that.  It is still at ~90% of design capacity, and it is 10 years old.

But I would expect it to degrade faster than usual if I start using it
for real.  Nanostructures in Li-ION degrade "just because"...

--
  Henrique Holschuh