[ltp] request to exchange

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 05 Jan 2017 22:54:15 +0100

Steve Izma <sizma@golden.net> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 10:10:23AM -0600, Chris Schumann wrote:
>> Subject: Re: [ltp] request to exchange
>>
>> My x1g1 and x1g3 run Fedora perfectly, too.
>
> I got an X1g4 in December and found it very easy to install
> Debian testing (stretch) on it.

So did I when I got mine in July.

But I think this discussion is futile.  Whether a system can 'accomodate
XXX operating system' is highly subjective.  It depends on what you
expect.  No issues whatsoever?  I certainly cannot claim that even if
I'm more than happy with my X1g4.

The GPU will hang now and then for example.  A little annoying, but no
big deal to me.  It is reset by the driver and we're back in business.
And I don't think the fingerprint scanner is supported?  I don't really
care.  But someone else might.  Didn't order the touchscreen so I don't
know about that.  And there were still some issues with the LTE modem
back in July.  I believe we have those covered by now, but such late
fixes means that you need a pretty new kernel and modemmanager. Some
will prefer an older "stable" distro, seeing such upgrade requirements
as a problem.  Etc.

Jules would be better off trying to descibe which issues he consider
important, making the x1g2 unsuitable.  Maybe the issues are fixable?
And in any case, trying to find another system without specifying the
problem with the x1g2 is guaranteed to fail.

Bjørn