[ltp] Re: Error 2100 - SSD in good health, but not booting into laptop

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Jan 2017 19:23:58 -0500

> I have a T530 with Samsung 840 EVO SSD running Arch Linux. Been running
> fine (for three years) then just wouldn't boot. Got the "2100: Detection
> error" screen of death but the drive passes Lenovo diagnostics (all SMART
> tests, etc.). With an Arch or Ubuntu Live CD it boots and I can mount the
> SSD (and made a full backup). I reformatted the SSD and put a fresh OS on
> it, but it still drops right into the boot menu like it doesn't see the
> bootable HDD at all.

Here's a workaround you might try:
- setup another drive as "GRUB drive" (e.g. it could be a tiny USB
  flash drive).
- arrange for your BIOS/EFI to boot GRUB from that auxiliary drive, and
  then arrange for that GRUB to load your kernel from your SSD.

Brings me to another question:
if you boot with a live CD, then mount your SSD somewhere, then
suspend, do you get errors about the SSD when you resume, or does it
work fine?

        Stefan