[ltp] T440p EFI partition paranoia

vandr0iy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Mar 2017 10:43:14 -0700 (MST)

Hi, Thinkpad linux users!
I'd like to hear an opinion of the linux users among you.
I've got a problem with the EFI partition - basically I'm unable to add boot
entries, because "EFI Variables are not supported on this system" - which is
clearly untrue.

If I mount the NVRAM partition where all the efi vars are (using the command
"mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars" ) I can see that it
contains only 100-150kb of data (of which the largest one is the logo, with
its whopping 61kb, while the others are the BIOS settings, I suppose).

It already happened to me before while I was installing gentoo, but I solved
it by removing all the "dump-*" files (as archwiki says
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.ph...erface#Requirements_for_UEFI_variable_support)
and creating an entry manually using some efibootmgr CLI magic. I'd also
like to avoid booting with that "efi_no_storage_paranoia" kernel parameter
all the times I want to install a new OS or to reinstall a bootloader...

Has anybody else ever experienced such a problem? never had anything similar
with any other laptop, hence posting it here...