[ltp] Volume control on x60s

Francesco Ariis fa-ml at ariis.it
Thu Feb 8 13:52:54 CET 2018

Hello Thinkpad users,
    I own an x60s and I spent this morning battling a sound problem.

Long story short: there are two grey buttons on my laptop and they
control the volume (3 if we consider the mute button); I would like to
control the volume via command line and not using those.

Now, I can *see* where the volume change happens, i.e.

    f at x60s:~$ amixer -c 29
    Simple mixer control 'Console',0
      Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
      Playback channels: Mono
      Limits: Playback 0 - 14
      Mono: Playback 6 [43%] [on]
                        ^-- pressing the grey buttons will change
                            this number

but when I try to set the relevant parameter it fails:

    f at x60s:~$ amixer -c 29 set Console 100%
    amixer: Invalid command!

I am a bit at loss now, so here is the question: is there a way to
control the internal mixer via command line?

Thanks in advance
-F